Here's another great option for a gluten-free savory pie. Great for freezing and for taking with you for lunch at the office or for the kids at school. In this case we will use broccoli (tons of vitamin C!). The recipe for the dough is very easy and it's the same that we've done for the Zucchini Pie. You can check the recipe and the video here.
- Shallots: 2
- Green Onions: 1 bunch
- Red Bell Pepper: 1
- Olive Oil: 2 tbsp
- Garlic: 2 cloves
- Heavy Whipping Cream or Greek Yogurt: 1 cup
- Eggs: 2
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Ham: 2 thin slices cut into 1 inches squares (or bacon if you prefer- although not as healthy!)
- Mozzarella cut into small pieces: according to taste
Broccoli filing for a gluten free Pie from Julia and Julieta on Vimeo.
- Steam the broccoli for about 3 to 5 minutes and transfer it immediately to a bowl with cold water to stop it from getting overcooked. If you overcook the broccoli it becomes soft and mushy.
- Steaming is the healthiest way to cook broccoli, because the broccoli does not come into contact with water and therefore the nutrient loss is reduced.
- If you want less fat in your pie, replace the heavy whipping cream with low fat plain Greek yogurt.
- If you are following a low cholesterol diet you can replace the two eggs with three white eggs.
- According to taste you can replace the ham with bacon and the mozzarella with the cheese of your preference (try provolone or Swiss for a deeper flavor!).
- Try to use a pie pan with removable bottom. This will allow you to take it from the pan immediately and place it on a wooden surface. The wooden surface will absorb the excess of liquids, making a way better pie dough!
We hope you enjoy it!