We've been making this dough for a while now and it comes out very well. It doesn't require much work, and can be easily done on a food processor if you find it faster.
Gluten-Free Zucchini Pie from Julia and Julieta on Vimeo.
Gluten free savory pie dough:
(these proportions will make 2 discs -you'll see that in the video we only did half, and use cheese instead of a dough top to cover it)
- 2 cups of gluten-free flour mix
- 1 teaspoon xantan ghum
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- salt and pepper
- zucchinis: depending on their size, approximately 4 to 6 zucchinis for a regular sized pie
- 1 onion or a bunch of green onions
- 1 or 2 shallots
- 2 eggs
- mozzarella cheese
- half cup Greek yogurt
- Salt and pepper
- It's better to steam the zucchinis rather than boiling them, as they tend to produce a lot of water and the dough can get soggy.
- If you can, try to take the pie out of the pan right after you take it out of the oven and place it on a wooden tray. It will prevent the dough from getting soggy and it really makes a difference! (But only try it if you have pie pans with removable bottom)
- If you want a richer pie, replace the Greek yogurt with heavy cream or cream cheese.